Our Family's Story

Our Family's Story

Saturday, December 14, 2013

Daylight

Glenn always told me there are no coincidences.


A few weeks after Glenn was diagnosed, the song Daylight by Maroon 5 was released. We both loved it immediately. Many, many times we would hear it in the car as we drove to or from the Cancer Center for his treatments. We would sing the chorus as loud as we could--neither one of us being singers--but the "Oh-woah, oh-woah" seemed to make us both smile every time.

I had no idea at the time the impact the song would continue to have in my life.

Glenn had been drifting in between this world and the next for several days. It seemed like every time I turned on the stereo, this song would play. On Saturday afternoon, Glenn woke up and saw Brennan and Jared standing by his bed. His exuberant "Hey guys!" took us all by surprise. They asked him if there was anything they could do for him. He said, "Some potstickers would sure be nice!" We all looked at each other startled! He then saw me and reached for my hand. He said, "And you, I love you more than anything in this world. I don't want to leave you." We held each other so close until he drifted back to sleep. He never woke again and he passed away several hours later. As he left our home for the last time, the sun was coming up and the daylight shone through the front door as we said goodbye. I stood there knowing I was on my own.

The song continues to play at times in my life when I need to know he is there, and the "Oh-woah, Oh-woah" always makes me smile.

Daylight

Here I am waiting, I’ll have to leave soon
Why am I, holding on?
We knew this day would come, we knew it all along
How did it, come so fast?
This is our last night but it’s late
And I’m trying not to sleep
Cause I know, when I wake, I will have to slip away

And when the daylight comes I’ll have to go
But tonight I’m gonna hold you so close
Cause in the daylight we’ll be on our own
But tonight I need to hold you so close
Oh-woah, oh-woah, oh-woah
Oh-woah, oh-woah, oh-woah

Here I am staring at your perfection
In my arms, so beautiful
The sky is getting back the stars are burning out
Somebody slow it down
This is way too hard, cause I know
When the sun comes up, I will leave
This is my last glance that will soon be memory

And when the daylight comes I’ll have to go
But tonight I’m gonna hold you so close
Cause in the daylight we’ll be on our own
But tonight I need to hold you so close
Oh-woah, oh-woah, oh-woah
Oh-woah, oh-woah, oh-woah

I never wanted to stop because I don’t wanna be stuck alone babe, stuck alone babe
I was afraid of the dark but now it’s all that I want, all that I want, all that I want

And when the daylight comes I’ll have to go
But tonight I’m gonna hold you so close
Cause in the daylight we’ll be on our own
But tonight I need to hold you so close
And when the daylight comes I’ll have to go
But tonight I’m gonna hold you so close
Cause in the daylight we’ll be on our own
But tonight I need to hold you so close
Oh-woah, oh-woah, oh-woah
Oh-woah, oh-woah, oh-woah
Oh-woah (yeah), oh-woah (yeah), oh-woah (yeah)
Oh-woah (yeah), oh-woah (yeah), oh-woah!

No comments:

Post a Comment